The New York, Ontario and Western Railway published a promotional rate book in 1899, advertising “Summer Homes Among the Mountains.” The index did not show Rock Hill as a railroad station or as a Post Office but Bridgeville and Glen Wild were listed. ROCK HILL was not on the map dated 1893 Globe Map Co., N.Y., based on Gustave Kobbe’s Large Scale Map. It was reached by rail to Wurtsboro and carriage to the top of the mountain six miles away The elevation was about 1,200 feet and it was within walking distance of six lakes, all set in a beautiful countryside. Hospitality was offered by the following:
Glenwood Hotel opened on June 1,1910 and overlooked Fowlwood Lake (now Wanaksink) at an elevation of 1,553 feet. It was built and operated for over twenty-five years by Herman Knenke. There were also two handsomely furnished cottages, the largest of which was the summer home of Gov. Alfred E. Smith and his family for many years. Other notables who were regular guests included the Kleigl family, founders of “Kleig” lights, also many judges and city officials of Tammany Hall. It was a noted landmark of its day. It was reached by N.Y., Ontario & Western R.R. to Mamakating, near Wurtsboro, thence by carriage to Rock Hill.
The buildings had gaslight and were equipped with a hot water system. Entertainment consisted of tennis, bowling, croquet, dancing. Fowlwood Lake was open to the public and guests could rent rowboats, as the fishing for bass and pickerel was the best in the County.
The main building was destroyed by fire in 1933, the remaining buildings and property were sold in 1935. It is now the site of the successful children’s camp called Camp Sequoia.
Broad View Farm House
Located on the Katrina Falls Road and owned by Charles Williams. First started to take in boarders about 1910 after enlarging the original homestead. 23 could be accommodated at one time and the rate was $5 per week. Mrs. Paul Schmick, daughter of Mr. Williams, still accommodates guests during the summer months.
Cold Spring House, Katrina Falls Road
Was built in 1911, accommodated 30 boarders. Has a natural spring on the property, which can be seen from the road. It was one of the first boarding houses to have hot and cold running water inside. The property adjoins Katrina Falls and was a showplace in its day with beautiful flower gardens much admired by Visitors to the Falls. Was owned and operated by the Blake Case family.
Glen Wild was three miles southeast of Centreville Station (now Woodridge). The fare from NYC was $2.12. It is located on the eastern slope of the Neversink Valley, elevation 1,000 feet. The Neversink River is a mile from the village. Hospitality offered by the following:
Eugene W. Bowers Glen Wild Falls Farm House, five miles from Centreville.
William Crawford – Pleasant View Farm House, four and 1/2 miles from Centreville.
We were unable to locate pictures of C. W. Couch’s Glen Wild Mountain Farm and J. Gerson’s Rock Hill Jewish Boarding House, 1/4 mile from Glen Wild post office but they were open for business in summer of 1899.
Bridgeville was five miles south of Fallsburgh Station (fare $2.20) on the banks of the Neversink River. Numerous farm houses in the vicinity opened their doors to the summer visitor and offered attractions in the shape of delightful scenery, boating and fishing on the river and the adjacent lakes. We were unable to locate pictures of Mrs. Austin Race’s Farm House and Mr. William J. Budd’s Farm House, both operating in 1899. The Bridgeville Hotel was run by Lewis S. Hoyt in 1872. He was also postmaster.
The Hotel Kinney
The hotel was open all year from about 1903 to about 1953. It was proud that some guests returned regularly for thirty-two years, many of them being hunters and fishermen. Some came from Newburgh on horseback, following the Newburgh-Cochecton Turnpike, including a judge of that City. This property is now owned by the Edelman family and operated as the “Old Homestead Restaurant.”
Many old summer cottages have been and are still being converted into all year-round. Property lying roughly between Wolf Lake Road and Katrina Falls Road and the Ouickway and the Old Sackett Trail has, in the main, been developed as “Emerald Green.” Lots have been improved, roads begun and luxury homes have been built as summer and second residences and in some cases all year-round homes. The needs of summer visitors are still pretty much the same now as in 1899. Croquet has died on the lawn as tennis, swimming and golf are the predominant activities. The Emerald Green residents have their own center called the “Entertainium” located on Old Sackett Road.
<< The Changing Lakes | Legends & Trivia >>