In 1810 there was no postal contact at all as the nearest point was Newburgh. In February, 1811, Anson Gale established a post office in his tavern at Gates, near the Thompson-Mamakating border. The mail was delivered there weekly until the railroad came into being in 1872.
The postal rates from Newburgh were established by the mileposts on the Newburgh-Cochecton Turnpike. Some of these mileposts have been preserved along the route mainly on Route 17K and can be seen on the north side of the road. The Republican-Watchman of November 28, 1838 announced the establishment of the Post Office at Bridgeville with Munson L. Bushnell as the first postmaster. The mail route which went from Monticello to Ellenville by way of Miller’s Settlement, now called Glen Wild, Wakeman’s Settlement, Southwick’s Settlement and Greenfield was established by an Act of Congress reported August 9, 1838. Glen Wild Post Office was opened about November, 1838 with William M. Bowers as postmaster. In 1872, the postmaster was Harmon Gillet.
In 1872 Lewis S. Hoyt was postmaster at Bridgeville. On October 29, 1885, Morris A. Bundle was appointed the first postmaster in Rock Hill by President Grover Cleveland. He also ran the general store. The post office was at the side door of the Davies house on Katrina Falls Road, now opposite Paul’s Texaco station. In December 23, 1891, Daniel D. Tompkins was in charge and the post office moved to the Tompkins’ Homestead, later Diken’s which burned in 1955. The Centerville (Woodridge) R.R. building was moved to this site and is now known as Spanky’s Disco.
In April 11, 1892, Arthur Harding was postmaster at the Harding House, located at the present site of the Rock Hill Inn (now defunct, on Rock Hill Drive).
December 22,1893 again saw Morris A. Rundle sorting the mail at the Davies house. In July 15,1902, Nelson B Tompkins, keeping the job in the family moved the post office back to the Disco site. In January 28, 1913, Sidney Winters Lord ran the P.O. at the house located next to the present Holiday Mountain Motor Lodge. His widow, Pearl Lord (later Rice), became the first postmistress in July 16, 1915 and conducted business at the same location. In 1954, Mrs. Edna Yaple became postmistress and held the job until 1966 and saw the office move from the one-room building next to the Methodist Church to the present new building which was opened on September 1, 1962.
In 1967, Arthur Case was postmaster for a brief period In 1968, our own John Sullivan became chief and is still in charge.
<< Origins | The Grange >>